Eat delicious dinners while saving time and money with once-a-month cooking.
Full money back guarantee!
Make Your Favorite Restaurant Dishes at Home
New & Improved Copy
As Seen on Fox, GMA, NBC, ABC, People Magazine.
Best Selling Cookbook!
Do what you love
Enjoy all of your life
Clear the clutter
Cook delicious meals
Enrich family life
Learn to love
and be loved Live abundantly on your income
Find useful simple living tips
Apple Cake with Caramel Icing is a perfect way to make use of all those fresh fall apples.
This year, for the first time, I used apples from our apple tree to bake this cake. Since it was the first year for the tree to bear apples, they were smaller than normal - about the size of oversized golf balls - but they were delicious and were perfect for this easy apple cake recipe.
This recipe makes a 9" x 9" cake. You can double the recipe to make a 9" x 13" cake or a bundt cake.
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups flour (I used all-purpose unbleached flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract (I use 1-1/2 tsp because I like vanilla)
1-1/2 cups peeled, cored, and finely chopped apples
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Grease or spray a 9" x 9" pan, glass preferred
3) Cream the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
4) Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir into the sugar/egg mixture.
5) Beat on medium to high speed for about 2 minutes.
6) Add the vanilla and finely chopped apples. Stir to thoroughly mix.
7) Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center is clean or has just a moist crumb or two.
8) Cool for 1 - 2 hours. Cake should be either completely cool or mildly warm before frosting.
9) Prepare the icing (see below) and ice the cake.
10) Allow the icing to set for at least 15-20 minutes. Then slice and enjoy!
1) Spray a small to medium saucepan with non-stick pan spray.
2) Have ready a non-breakable bowl of ice water or have an inch or two of ice water in your sink. You will use this as an ice bath for the pan of frosting when it is finished boiling.
2) Stir together the butter, brown sugar, and milk. Cook over medium to medium high heat, stirring frequently until the mixture boils. Set a timer for 2 minute and boil and stir for 2 minutes.
3) Remove the pan from the heat and quickly stir in the vanilla.
4) Put the pan in the ice bath and beat the frosting until it is of spreading consistency. It will also lose most of its gloss when it is ready to spread.
5) Spread the icing on the cake. You may need to hurry a bit if it starts to harden. If this happens, dip your spatula in a bit of milk and continue spreading.
6) While you can certainly eat this cake immediately, it's best to let the icing continue to set. The icing will form a delicious soft topping with a thin sweet crust.
Article by Patti Tokar Canton
Other Simple Life Recipes:
Have you heard about Paleo cooking? Healthy, nutritious, simple dishes.